Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Symbols in a Small Organization

 
After finishing the regarding the symbolic frame, I felt that many of the examples discussed in the symbolic frame work perfectly well in describing the near religious aspects some organizations have.  Be it the odd ceremony for promotions or initiation of new employees.  I work in an office with about 20 employees and I can’t say that the ideas laid out in these chapters apply that much to the workings of a smaller organization.  While I remember these types of ceremonies and symbolic attempts to bestow legitimacy and honors on people in high school, it has never felt like they apply to the small organizations.  The examples Bolman and Deal discuss refer almost exclusively to large companies with a certain “mystique” around them, eBay and the fabricated story about Pez, etc.


These types of myths can permeate in a culture with a large number of employees with few of them knowing people outside their immediate co-workers.  When employees have to hear second hand or create their own ideas about the organization, they are able to put more significance into events that are otherwise mundane.  When there are a large number of people is also helps to create a sense of unity among the workers in that it gives them all a specific event to speak about.


These types of actions mostly feel unnecessary and as empty as they really are. We are are privy to each others roles already and the short history of the company.  


Does anyone work in a small organization that is heavy on the symbols in the work envrionment?

-Brandon

2 comments:

  1. I found this comment interesting, because despite the annual holiday party and commencement ceremonies, I have found that my organization, Hunter College, lacks a symbolic frame. Known to be a staple for which students come for an educational degree, the department I work for has more meaningful symbolic examples (in my personal opinion) than I will ever find at Hunter overall. Every morning around ten o'clock three of my female supervisors will gather to the cafeteria for their morning coffee, upon which they'll discuss last night's "American Idol" winner and their early morning subway ride to work. Everyday at noon, the Director of the department goes to lunch. He is so punctual with his time, only newly hired staff or outsiders will call asking for him from 12-1pm. Most of the entire Hunter College staff knows his lunch time. The key that opens all the doors to the office is called the "ONE-key". It is one of the main symbolic features of our office. These are just a few symbols/ceremonies that exist within my department. What I am trying to say is that despite a small or large organization, there will always be symbols, rituals, or heritage. You just have to be observant and keep your eye out for them. Sure, of course, Bolman and Deal describe the larger (more famous) organizations, but that doesn't mean the symbolic frame applies to them only. After all, symbolism and ceremonies are what creates the culture in the organization and within its departments.

    ~Janet Echeverry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the topic of the symbolic frame a little goofy when we discussed it in class. I couldn't relate it to my current organization. I have negative views of my workplace and perhaps only wanted to view the symbolic frame as something positive but indeed I have found the culture, actors, ceremonies at my organization be what I find goofy. It explains it all.

    The structure here is that of an old boys club. And the hiring process or initiation ceremony is very much based on "who you know". A mating call of high society. The culture is one of closed doors and little communication and that translates to the administrative staff. Departments do not communicate and very little as far as after work activities takes place.

    I do think ceremonies and rituals can exist in small organizations. The culture permeates quicker because of size and in my case our leaders are so close to us that their habits poison us quicker.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete