Sunday, December 12, 2010

"Nine Cs of Leadership"

Hi Everyone,

I am currently reading a book which I think you might all enjoy as well. It is entitled Where Have All The Leaders Gone?  by Lee Iacocca. The author, Lee Iacocca, is credited with saving Chrysler when it was facing bankruptcy. He presents what he calls the "Nine Cs of Leadership" that we should use to screen candidates who say they want to run the country. His list is the following:

CURIOSITY - a leader has to listen to people outside his inner circle. He has to read because the world is a big place. If a leader never steps outside his comfort zone to hear different ideas, he grows stale.

CREATIVE - a leader has to be willing to think outside the box. Leadership is all about managing change. Things change and you get creative. You adapt.

COMMUNICATE - a leader has to know how to talk straight. Communication has to start with telling the truth, even when it's painful.

CHARACTER - a leader has to be able to know the difference between right and wrong and have the guts to do the right thing.

COURAGE - a leader has to have balls. Courage is a commitment to sit down at the negotiating table and talk. If you're a politician, courage means taking a position even when you know it will cost you votes.

CONVICTION - a leader has to have fire in his belly and really want to get something done.

CHARISMA - a leader should have the ability to make people want to follow him. Charisma is the ability to inspire and instill trust.

COMPETENT - a leader should know what he is doing or at least surround yourself with people who know that they are doing.

COMMON SENSE - you can't be a leader if you don't have common sense.

I think this list does a nice job of summarizing our classroom discussions and the text material. In fact I would go so far as to say that we might be able to branch each of these qualities into various chapters in both B&D and D,D, & A. I am enjoying the book because Mr. Iacocca is examining the actions of the federal government against the backdrop of a career spent in the Private Sector. So, here is my questions, given my future aspirations which of these have I demonstrated and which should I work on?

Gaurav "Mike" Bawa

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike:

    It was great getting to know you this semester. Its refreshing to find someone who knows exactly what they want. I couldn't be further from that but am happy to be on my way.

    I think you are well on your way to accomplishing your goals. In class you have demonstrated your charisma. Your presentation showed us your competency.

    You have shown pieces of the other qualities but I believe they will become stronger through experience. You have to find yourself in a leadership role outside of school and knee deep in an organization. People listen to you as shown by how captivated the class was during your long presentation.

    What I have learned in my own life is that the only way out is through. Similar to Maslow's hierarchy of needs I believe you have to continue to meet all your needs to understand how to meet those of others.

    I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

    Best,

    Angie Marin

    ReplyDelete