Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Start Them Young

My last post is about children as leaders. I was empowered in sixth grade by Ms. Costello. She created a small club on Friday mornings before school would start and we would eat bagels and coffee and talk about our ideas for our future and what we would need to realize them. She would make us do one creative thing during the week to present to the club members. We would set goals for the week such as clean our room, not fight with a sibling, or do a chore to make five dollars. We would role play conflicts and act out how we "should" be communicating with each other. And most importantly she would share her own experiences with us and encourage us to do the same.

I look back at those times fondly and hope to use my masters degree to pursue a career in an organization that inspires children to do the same. I found this sweet image on a website about teaching leadership to students. 


I like the story it tells and the message it delivers. It is severely brief however it touches on a few of the topics we covered this semester: communication, physical fitness, creativity, values, etc. 

I do not have children but can reflect on the significance that early examples of good leadership had on me. There should be a movement toward incorporating leadership into curriculum's nation wide not just for small clubs on Friday mornings. 

Best regards and happy holidays.

Angie Marin 

No comments:

Post a Comment