Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hold Me Accountable Please.

In a November interview for The New York Times Corner Office, Geoff Vuleta C.E.O. of Fahrenheit 212 discussed goal setting. Fahrenheit 212 is a branding consulting firm and although our focus has mostly been for non-profit and public management I was interested in learning about his 100-Day To-Do List.

All employees of Fahrenheit 212 come together and come up with a list of all the things that need to get done in the next 100 days. The employees break off and come back individually to discuss their contribution to the fruition of that list in the next 100 days.

I found this to be pretty genius.

Many years ago I watched Forrest Gump with an uncle. The scene where Forrest decides to run across the country always stood out in my mind in particular because so many people started running with him and I didn’t understand why. My uncle told me that people need a leader. I think Vuleta, in this case, has nailed that and a strategy to boot.

Part of leading isn’t just barking out orders or staging your presence or even chumming it up with your staff. As nice as it is to have a caring boss I most appreciated those that gave me direction. Vuleta’s list not only provides direction but encompasses goals, values, accountability, and team work. Part of this list strategy is not only coming up with the list but coming back with your achievements and failures and publicly voicing them. Knowing that you have to tell you coworkers that you screwed up or have fallen behind tears down the wall and creates transparency because now on day 56 you can approach your team member and ask for help, you don’t have to worry about pride or autonomy because it isn’t encouraged or emphasized.

I don’t believe that a list alone will solve all issues and I am sure that one can bullshit their way out of not completing their list contributions but I am sure this is a great management tool to use as a new boss. A structure. An agenda.

Do you believe a list can work for your organization?

Best,

Angie Marin 

No comments:

Post a Comment