Friday, December 10, 2010

FDNY Charging Fees???

This morning on NY1 I saw a report on a proposal by the FDNY to start charing fees to the at fault drivers when the FDNY responds to crashes.  $490 for crash or car fire, with injuries, $415 for a car fire without injuries, and $365 for a crash with no injuries.  It is reported that the change does not need City Council Approval, but that public hearings are scheduled.  This has me a little steamed.  I do not think the FDNY should be empowered to start charging fees without letting public officials vote on it.  The Fire Department is in business to serve the public.  While I can appreciate this notion of saving tax payer dollars it seems odd to me that the FDNY can go ahead without a vote.  Are the public hearings going to be a symbolic "we sought input from the people..." 
Check out the story...what do you think?
http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/130395/fdny-to-charge-drivers-for-emergency-response

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=7835432

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40604095/ns/local_news-new_york_ny/

-Ken

1 comment:

  1. Ken,

    I can understand why you would be upset. But I think it's important to look at the reality of the situation. The current budget crisis is effecting nearly every facet of public and non-profit sector work. If you remember earlier in the semester we discussed situational variables. Which included the following questions:

    -what are we trying to accomplish?
    -what needs to be done?
    -who should do what?
    -how should we make decisions?
    -who is in charge?
    -how do we coordinate efforts?
    -what do individuals care about most?
    -what are special skills and talents?
    -what is the relationship?
    -how will we determine success?

    I think if you evaluate the FDNY's actions by answering each of these questions it would allow you to possibly understand why they are proposing this. The articles you provided criticize the idea but do not offer any alternatives. Criticism without recommendation does not serve a very useful purpose. Several of our classmates presented throughout the semester and we gave them our critiques on their presentation. I cannot speak for others but I know my critiques showed me where my presentation was lacking and how I might be able to make it stronger. With the criticism came recommendations. Also, keep in mind that other cities in the country already charge fees for fire prevention services.

    Gaurav "Mike" Bawa

    ReplyDelete