Sunday, October 3, 2010

"Measuring Success by Mission, Not Profit"

Today I came to across this article "Measuring Success by Mission, Not Profit" at New York Times-Business session, and I want to share it with my classmates. The author changes her job from a vice-president of a financial form to a senior director of facilities initiatives in National Alliance for Public Charter Schools. At her new job, she immediately noticed the difference between the private and not profit organization. In profit organization, how much profit has been make is the key to determine the degree of success However, in not profit organization, it is measured by completion of mission.
I am agree with the author regarding the measurement of success in private and not profit organization.  I worked at a small private whole sell company at my pervious job, Eight years later, I still remembered clearly that my manager, also the owner  of the company, kept asking the quantity of the order we received everyday. If he heard the small number or no order at all, he would go back to his office and closed his door behind him. The sales would become nervous.I have been working for the not profit organization for almost 8 years now. Our company mission is to "support CUNY faculty and staff in identifying and obtaining external external support (Pre-ward) form government and private and is responsible for the administration of all such funded programs (post-award)." According to the 2010 annual report, award excess 375.5 millions compare to 344 millions last year. :) I am enjoy with what I am doing now just like the author.

You can read this article at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/business/03pre.html?ref=business

Yu Mei Wu

No comments:

Post a Comment