Friday, September 3, 2010

Ramadan Case Study

I thought we had a great first class. It was nice to meet you all. I’m glad to see that we have such a diversified group.


I’d like to make a comment on the case study Ramadan that we discussed in class. Someone suggested that Jamal might just let it go and not report the “harassment”. I disagree. I think that Jamal should consider the way he is being treated, in regard to his religious practices, as the equivalent of being sexually harassed. Based on my experience in investment banking, which is a male-dominated field and therefore sexual harassment is taken very seriously, the employer needs to see that the employee demonstrated that the behavior was not acceptable to them and was not to be tolerated. If Jamal does nothing and waits to see if the action continues it may be construed by management that this was not such a serious offense after all. They may not believe that it even happened at all.

I think that Jamal should confront Sonia and explain to her that he does not like the way she is treating him. If her behavior continues he should report her to their supervisor. If Jamal feels like his supervisor did not handle it properly then he should take it up with Human Resources.

Catherine Crawford

No comments:

Post a Comment