Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Do Women make better managers continued....

I was intrigued by the article we discussed in last nights class and began looking to see if there was more information available on the topic.  In my web travels I came across this article http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/do-women-make-better-bosses/ in which various people from different industries weigh in on Carol Smiths interview.  I hope you enjoy reading the different perspectives on the issue.

Amanda Talty

3 comments:

  1. I am a bit surprised by the comments from these "experts," especially the one from my alma mater UConn. There seemed to be a bit of leaning toward the fact that maybe women are better managers. I find it more easy to agree with certain facts that it is more difficult for women to reach that level and therefore it changes the playing field a bit. Yet, I believe that the reasons for being a good manager are more based on education, experience, and individual cirsumstances rather than mostly gender. As mentioned in class, this is not the most constructive conversation to have and rather we should continue to educate ourselves in the field and gain work experience in order to become better managers than blame it on/give credit to anything else.

    -Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this reading, Amanda.

    In my opinion, I think there are so many factors to consider other than gender that it's a little absurd to say that females are better managers than males just because they're females. Throughout my career, I've had female and male managers, both good and bad, and I can honestly say that I don't think it was gender that made them good or bad at being a manager. I believe it was more about experience, education/training, and personal style.

    Deanne

    ReplyDelete