Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Book Fair

I really enjoyed the book fair that we had at our last class. There are a few books that I’m interested in reading. I didn’t get a chance to talk about the book that I reviewed, “What They Don’t Teach You at Harvard Business School”. Professor Casey asked me if I felt the title was accurate, but since we are not at Harvard would I say that they are not teaching what the book advocates at Baruch. Of course some of what the author advises is in our textbooks or other readings but I think that the majority of his advice is not taught in school. That is not to say that it can’t be, just that it is not.  I think our school curriculum is focused on teaching us theory and although the professors try to relate that to the practical side the emphasis is on theory. There is such a big difference between an academic’s perception of things and how business leaders see matters. Academics put an emphasis on theory and business leaders have a more practical viewpoint, and they can teach us from their personal experience.  I’m in my first term of grad school so I may feel differently by the time I graduate.    
The author, the late Mark McCormack, was the founder and CEO of International Management Group (now IMG). He gave birth to the sports marketing and management industry in the 1960’s.  He started his company with less than $500.  McCormack was a street-smart leader and manager. As a leader he was the visionary for the company and as the CEO he was a hands on manager. I originally read this book and the one that preceded it “What They Don’t Teach You at Harvard Business School” several years ago when I was in investment banking and I was so impressed with McCormack. The original book focused more on personal management, such as time management and overcoming fear of failure, as well as managing and negotiating. I think it is more relevant for people starting out in their careers than the second book.  
The book is filled with believable anecdotes that make the advice easy to understand and relate to. We learned about the Peter Principle in class but McCormack makes it relevant. He advises us not to ‘peter principle’ ourselves out of our area of expertise in order to take on more of a managerial role.        
McCormack writes about communicating more effectively by “listening aggressively”.  Most people are either talking or thinking about what they are going to say, and thus they are missing out on what is actually transpiring. “Pay attention to the adjectives and adverbs people choose, their intonation in responding to certain topics. If you listen to how people are saying something, you’ll understand why they’re saying it.”
He spent a lot of time negotiating throughout his career. He advises his reader to prioritize what is important to battle over and don’t get hung up on the small things.  Don’t lose a deal because the two parties couldn’t agree on something insignificant.  A lot of his advice can be transferred into all areas of our lives.        
Catherine Crawford       

1 comment:

  1. I didn't get to attend the book fair, but I feel like I got a little taste of it through your post, so thank you.

    As for McCormack, you sold me. I am really interested in checking out his book now. I find what you said about school and theory so accurate, and beleive it has affected my own career in terms of limitations in trying to transfer my skills and knowledge into the practical world setting. We sit and judge organizations from our desks while these organizations are living breathing organizations that are getting things done.

    As for your comment about the peter principle... I am not sure I even want to address that monster. I find this key in large beauracracies where peoepl soon feel entitlements for (years served, or have been serving long after their passion for the position has passed) Great examples, Robert Byrd ( congressman,the longest serving congressman who just recently retired), the MTA(after 5-7 years, everyone gets promoted!). So many places to name. I just hope I never get that complacent or indignent.

    Helga Nyanffor

    ReplyDelete